The strategic planning stage for the next year has already begun. Having a clear vision for the future of your company is essential. But if this vision is not shared and aligned with your team, the growth and scalability of your organization may be limited. Even if you can visualize where you want your company to be in one, five, or ten years, if you lack a strategic plan involving everyone, that vision will remain a mere dream.
Alignment and growth: An essential link
Ask yourself: can ten employees of your company describe the vision and action plan of the company for this year or the next? If the answers vary, it is likely that the growth and scalability of your organization are at risk. Although you have a clear vision for the future, this vision will only come true with a strategic plan that unites all members of your team.
As your company grows, communicating a strategic plan becomes more complex, but it is still crucial for success. An effective approach to achieving this is the One-Page Strategic Plan (OPSP), a powerful tool that simplifies strategy and keeps everyone aligned.
The Benefits of a One-Page Strategic Plan
The OPSP stands out for its ability to provide clarity at all levels of the organization. With this approach, each individual understands where the company is headed and what actions are necessary to achieve its objectives. Unlike lengthy and confusing plans, the OPSP focuses on essential aspects, avoiding confusion and contradictions.
The 9 Key Components of the OPSP
It is necessary to answer the basic questions: who, what, when, where, how, why, and the often challenging question: “Should we or should we not?”
1. Define the Core Values/Beliefs: In this section, you will list the essential values that will guide the decisions and actions of your company. These values are the fundamental principles that govern the culture and ethics of your organization. By establishing these “shoulds/shouldn’ts”, you provide a solid foundation for aligned and consistent decision-making at all levels of the company.
2. Establish a Purpose: Purpose goes beyond simply defining what your company does. It is a deep statement about the impact you want to have on the world. This section includes both the “company mission” and a BHAG (Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal). The mission describes what you currently do, while the BHAG is an ambitious and measurable goal you want to achieve in the next 10 to 25 years.
3. Set Objectives (3-6 years): Here you will define your company’s medium-term objectives, which span 3 to 6 years into the future. These objectives offer a clear vision of the direction you are moving in and establish measurable brand promises that you want to fulfill for your customers. Additionally, this section summarizes the key capabilities and approaches your company will need to develop to achieve these objectives.
4. Set Goals (1 year): This section focuses on what you plan to achieve in the next year. Goals should be specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and have a defined timeframe (SMART). By defining these goals, you are providing clear and tangible guidance for the short term that will contribute to the achievement of your longer-term objectives.
5. Define your Actions (Quarter): Detail how your company will execute your strategy within a 90-day timeframe. This focuses on the “next step” you will take to advance towards your goals. The actions must be specific and feasible within a quarter, and by communicating them, you ensure that all team members are focused on concrete activities.
6. Select a Theme: The theme represents the top priority for the quarter or year. Describe the key focus that will concentrate your team’s efforts. Additionally, celebrations and rewards associated with this theme are also included. By establishing a theme, you provide a clear focus point for the team and a way to keep everyone motivated and engaged.
7. Assign Responsibilities: This part defines who is responsible for the different aspects of the OPSP. Each column has an associated timeframe, which also answers the question “when” the various actions and responsibilities will take place. This ensures that everyone knows who is in charge of each item and when it is expected to be completed.
8. Identify your Strengths, Weaknesses, and Trends: At the bottom of the OPSP, you will summarize the three main strengths and weaknesses inherent in your company’s core competencies. There is also space to highlight the six main trends that may affect your company and the industry you are in.
9. Define your Actions in the People and Processes pillars: The two fundamental pillars of any company are its People (employees, customers, and shareholders) and its Processes (produce/buy, sell, and control). The OPSP allows you to have specific actions to ensure that they are included in your strategic planning.
Final Steps: Tips to complete your One-Page Strategic Plan
The OPSP tool has been designed to achieve alignment both horizontally and vertically. This establishes a logical framework that facilitates the organization of your strategic vision, ensuring that all necessary pieces are present for successful completion. The physical structure of the OPSP encourages prioritization and simplification. Since the space for writing is limited, it is essential to be concise.
As you progress in developing the document, imagine that you are solving a giant crossword puzzle or a jigsaw puzzle. Use the information you have available to guide your decisions and determine the remaining necessary elements.
The One Page Strategic Plan is a powerful tool for simplifying and empowering your strategic planning. By summarizing your vision, mission, values, objectives, key actions and initiatives, metrics, and implementation plan in a single page, you can achieve greater clarity, focus, and execution. The simplicity of this tool promotes effective communication, team alignment, and adaptability, essential factors for long-term business success. So why complicate what can be simple? Take the step towards a clearer and more effective strategic plan with the One Page Strategic Plan.
At Leaper 360, we specialize in implementing the One Page Strategic Plan. In addition to using proven strategy methodologies, we focus on the 5 P’s (People, Product, Price, Promotion and Placement) to accelerate your sales and profitability. Contact us now for more information and discover how we can drive your business forward. Boost your growth with the OPSP and Leaper360!
You may also be interested in: